These are the questions that will be looked at through this essay as well as defining what critical practice or being critical in academic works really is as well as how it relates to essay writing.
In this report, i am using 4 selected theories which are gestalt, tavistock theory, trevor and developmental theory to apply in 4 critical incidents in our tutorial class throughout this semester.
To explore an event as a critical incident is a value judgment, and the basis of that judgment is the significance attached to the meaning of the incident.
The incident chosen has made an impact on me due to the fact the side effects of surgery can be very critical to a patient’s life, as would be demonstrated in the critical incident chosen (D.V.T).
Tripp (1993) The incident chosen has made an impact on me due to the fact the side effects of surgery can be very critical to a patient’s life, as would be demonstrated in the critical incident chosen (D.V.T)....
If the sequence of events is correctly analysed, the investigator can identify its origin and key points in the sequence, this allows the investigator to design mitigation strategies that can effectively stop that same sequence from recurring.
The task in this assignment is to:
Write a ‘Formal Investigative Report’ about a real-life critical incident that has occurred.
The student should use a critical incident that has been published on the Internet or via any other public domain.
Please use the below as a guide of what to include in this report, the marking criteria will also help guide you.
Introduction/Background to the Incident: A short introduction including what the report is about followed by a brief background to the critical incident.
Data: Critically examine the case to identify and explore all the predisposing factors that lead to the outcome, these factors are the ‘root causes’.
The problem that triggered a root cause analysis was likely related to a log increase in the dose of vasopressin because of a prescribing error, pharmacy issues also figured prominently in this error, the computerized physician order entry (CPOE) system that did not eliminate medication errors and domino effect to the nurse that started the medication that eventually caused the pati...
An integral part of the NIMS is the Incident Command System (ICS), which provides a system of critical interface between different responding agencies, or jurisdictions that are suddenly required to work together in order to respond to an incident (“NIMS”, 2004)....
It requires clinicians and administrators to take joint responsibility for making sure this occurs.
A critical incident can be any of the following:
o an adverse event (where ‘harm’ was caused to a patient or colleague),
o a sentinel event, death (involving mortality and significant morbidity), or
All critical incidents result from a series of underlying/predisposing factors resulting usually from human error, and deficiencies in systems and processes or procedures.
1. How would your response differ for an accidental versus an intentional release?
2. What are the nine hazardous material classes?
3. What is the criteria for evacuation versus sheltering-in-place?
4. How does law enforcement work with other agencies on HazMat scenes? Can you give an example from your agency or a neighboring agency?
Collaboration-Forums #7 Text: Critical Incident Management. Chapter 9 and Appendix B.
1. What are the types of events that can trigger critical incident stress? Give some examples of past events in your agency.
2. What are the symptoms of acute stress in critical incident responders?
3. What are the symptoms of delayed stress in critical incident responders?
4. What are some of the options for lessening the impact of stress on critical incident responders?
Collaboration-Forums #6: Text: Critical Incident Management, Chapter 7.
1. What are the major components of the National Incident Management system?
2. What was the basis of the decision to create NIMS? Why wasn’t the ICS used instead?
3. What are the roles and duties of the Incident Commander?
4. What are the functional areas of the ICS?
Collaboration-Forums #5: Text: Critical Incident Management. Chapter 8.
1. What are your primary goals in the crisis phase? Why?
2. Can you think of how the Seven Critical Tasks would have applied to an incident in which you have participated?
3. What are the criteria for the appropriate placement of the command post and staging areas?
4. Can you think of some realistic resources you can call on in your jurisdiction?